Friday 29 January 2010

Future Technologies January - Overview of the year and Google Chrome OS

For January I wanted to do a sort of round up of the year / predictions for the next year type article for my 'Future Technologies' post, but it's just so difficult!

I've been including posts on Future Technologies since April of last year and so far have covered:


So these are the main areas i've been interested in during 2009. I guess also of note is what I didn't cover.

I didn't cover Cloud Computing, am I the only one who's a little bored of it?! Also most techies I talk to see it as virtualisation and have been doing it for years. I probably should have covered Software as a Service but I think that would have been relevant as being 'new' in 2008 rather than 2009.

I didn't cover Mobile Apps - mainly because i'm not entirely sure where to even start, but also because I still haven't seen anything that's really made me think Wow! I'm sure there are apps that would make me go Wow, I just haven't seen them.

I didn't cover Social Networking, again partly because it's being talked to death and also because social networking sites, although generally fab, are not technologies that excite me. They're usually impressive in their simplicity and it's not the technology thats amazing but the
commitment of its users.

So as a kind of prediction for 2010, during the next 12 months i'd like to learn more about:

Geolocation, I still think there are many interesting and as yet unused ideas around geolocation technologies.

HTML5, i'm hoping this will bring about a new change for websites, sites are getting pretty predictable these days so it would be good to see something new and exciting.

Healthcare technologies, this is such a huge area and I have colleagues who specialize in just these industries so its a bit offputting because there is so much to look at, but there are some really exciting and amazing technologies around healt
hcare.


Finally, I wanted to end with something new-ish: Google's Chrome OS. It's a really new and fresh way of looking at the desktop and there are many features worth pointing out:

Every application is accessed through the Chrome browser. This means that you won't need to have Microsoft Office on your machine in order to use Excel, instead you just use the Windows Live Web-based version of Excel. A lot of software companies are going to need to adapt to that!

Due to the above users will never have to install software or deal with annoying updates. Due to this it's going to mean starting up is very fast and as the Chrome browser has already shown to be extremely fast (i'm a total convert, the speed is everything with this browser, its perfect for the impatient generations :-)) opening files will be really quick.

The majority of user settings are stored in the cloud. This means that you can go to any machine (as long as it's a Google Chrome machine) and it will be exactly the same as using your own.

To pick up on the above, although hardly anything is stored on the hard drive the OS will only work on specific machines. You can't just install it onto the laptop / desktop you have now. Potentially a major disadvantage, but I am interested to see what machines will come out using the OS and i'm hopeful there will be some new innovations there.

So hopefully this is also something that will be interesting to watch develop through 2010.

No comments: